Last September I wrote about the future of art retreats, wondering what’s in store now that Artfest has ended and the economy is scary and more and more workshops are available online so that you don’t ever have to leave your house. Even though it seems that not as many people are making the investment—time, effort, money—to attend real live retreats, I think they’re really important for a lot of reasons, not just because of the classes and making new friends and, you know, just getting out of the house, but for the reason that’s always been the most important to me: meeting other people who are like you. Going to art retreats gives me a chance to be among other people who have paint on their hands and carry notebooks around with them so they can capture ideas and who like to sit with a glass of wine and talk about color and fabric and paint and Making Stuff.
When I wrote about all that last year, Sallianne and Ellen, the founders and hosts of Art is You in Stamford, Connecticut, Petaluma, California, and—most recently—Nashville, Tennesee—contacted me and suggested a way to make their retreat available to someone who might not otherwise ever get to attend. We here at CreateMixedMedia.com have put our heads together with Sal and Ellen, and we’ve come up with a contest, but not a contest that you win for yourself; a contest you win for someone else. I’m going to let Tonia tell you more about it:
As Ricë just mentioned, this contest is special because it gives you the opportunity to try and lend a hand to someone else, and this kind of thing always makes us feel good about ourselves so we’re actually all winners! So let me tell you about the contest!
First . . . Sallianne’s and Ellen’s incredibly generous PRIZE!
- To attend a retreat of the winner’s choice in 2013 – Petaluma or Stamford. (Prize Value: 1000USD)*
- 3 nights’ accommodation at our host hotel – King Room with Breakfast.
- 3 Full-Day Workshops (Chosen by winner but based on availability) and Kit Fee subsidy ($20 per day where applicable).
- Lunch each workshop day.
- Full access to events such as Morning Motivators, Art Trunk and charity events.
Second . . . how to nominate someone to win!
- In the comments section below, tell us whom you’d like to nominate to win the prize above and why you feel they deserve this special creative-outlet treat.
- We’ll be making a new post here on Create Mixed Media each week for the month of June and we’ll announce the winner of the prize the first week of July. (Winning nomination to be chosen by Art Is You and Create Mixed Media.) You can leave a comment any week, but please only one nomination per person.
- To spruce things up and increase the fun, we’ll randomly select one commenter each week to win a North Light book.
Be sure to stay tuned here at CreateMixedMedia.com for more, and watch our Facebook page for even more fun surprises!
* Fine print about the prize: Retreat attendance must be taken in the year offered (2013). Travel to and from the Art Is You retreat is not included. Dinners and incidentals are not included. The prize cannot be split, exchanged, transferred or sold for cash.
MORE RESOURCES FOR MIXED MEDIA ARTISTS